Gastric juice collection is often a ward procedure.
Below are the procedure you need to follow to collect gastric juice from patient.
1. patient prepared for collection of gastric juice must be in fasting state and must be free from sight or overnight food odour.
2. Witheld all medication capable of influencing gastric secretion for 24 hours.
3. Isolate the patient from environmental situation evoking untoward psychological responses such as fear, angers or depression.
4. Pass a number 14 Ryle’s tube via the nose until it is lying on the pyloric antrum. The markings on the tube show how far the tube has been pushed down.
5. All the gastric juice is aspirated from the stomach. This specimen is the resting juice
6. In next 1 hour the juice is collected bassal juice.
7. The patient is injected intramuscularly with 6ug per kg body of pentagastrin. This gives maximal secretion.
8. The gastric juice is aspirated for four consecutive minute periods and the samples are labelled 1, 2, 3, 4.
9. The laboratory should receive the following samples:
Post pentagastrin sample 1, 2, 3, 4.
Be the first to comment