A general body test is an investigation of the entire body systems.
In medical laboratory, some patients often walked in and request for general test.
Most of these patients are the one that weren’t refer by medical personnels.
Why This patients request for General Test?
Most of the patient that request for general test are the one that has reocurent symptoms of general body pains and they have done several treatments without test, an no improvement.
Did we have General Test?
Did we actually have general test as some patients often requested?
The answer is yes, there are general test, but many people who often come for the test can’t afford the cost, because general body test will include all x-ray, Scan, all clinical Chemistry Test, microbiology and others, which will cost close to millions Naira if not above.
But the scientist who have experience and have work for sometimes will ask the patient some basic question, the question will help the scientist to outline some basic test, the test will be inline with the patient complain.
In some case, the Laboratory may have Dr. Which the patient can consult before doing the test.
The Doctor will help observe and ask the you the patient some questions, this question will guide the doctor to prescribe basic test for you.
Medical Laboratory is a very risky place to work in health system.
Many sample they brought to laboratory for investigation of a particular disease, may be infected with others contagious disease, and you as a scientist will not know, that is why the first procedure in medical Laboratory is safety.
Apply safety from collecting sample to handling and finally doing the investigation.
What is Biological Hazards is all about?
Hazard cause by biological agents is called biological hazards.
What is Biological agent, this a biological micro-organism that cause infection or disease in human being.
Most of these biological agents, refer to as pathogens are harmless outside the host, but when they gain access into the host body, they Begin to reproduce thereby cause damage to the system.
The biological agents which are known to be pathogens to human, are classify base on the effects they have on Human being.
They are group from 1 to 4.
Just like every other things that have basics requirements, and set-up, Medical Laboratory has it own designs to suit the jobs needs.
When starting a medical laboratory, some basic consideration must be taken into account in bring out laboratories design.
In this post, i will outline seven basics, compulsory design laboratory needs.
1. The Laboratory surface must be impervious to water and must be easy to clean.
2. Working bench in the laboratory must be resistance to chemical attacks, such as acids, alkalis, solvents, and disinfectant.
3. Laboratory is not a restaurant, as such accessing the laboratory is restricted to only authorized personnel.
4. For Safety of workers, laboratory must have safety cabinet and room where possiblity of exposure to biological hazards agent be build and in control.
5. Any door that give access to room where infected organisms is, must carry Bio-hazard label.
6. Mechanically ventilated laboratory must maintain inward airflow by extracting to the external atmosphere.
7. Autoclave must be available at all times for waste material sterilization.
This article we are going to discuss on how to care for laboratory balance.
Laboratory balance is a delicate instrument that gives a precision measurement. This instrument need careful handling and regular maintenance.
The manufacturer instruction for use are to be followed as much as possible when using the weighing balance. In using weighing, balance here are the simple rules that have to be followed. This rules are guide and mentainace of the balance.
1. The balance must be positioned very well which must be free of vibration preferably in a draug-free areas.
2. Level the balance with the help of a spirit level by adjusting the screw on the stand.
3. Zero the balance before weighing.
5. Never wear any substance that readily on the pan of a balance used a weighing container.
4. Always use forceps to add or remove weights when using a pan balance.
6. Keep the balance and the pan free of chemical by brushing the pan off after use.
7. Always keep a desiccant inside the cabinet of analytical balance.
8. Check the accuracy of the balance regularly.
9. When not in use protect the balance with a cover.
Common Medical Laboratory Investigation (Test)
1. Human Immuno deficiency syndrome (HIV)
2. Hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg).
3. Packed Cells Volume (PCV)
4. Malaria Parasites (MP)
6. Blood Group.
8. Pregnancy Test (PT)
9. H. Pylori.
10. Full Blood Count (FBC).
11. Red Blood Cell (RBC).
12. Erythrocytes Sedimentation Rate (ESR)